Feb 7, 2014

Smoky Maple Pancetta, Fluffy Corn & Chilli Pancakes

Overdue a week but finally here, I present to you the first of several breakfast/brunch/my-lunch recipes from Jamie's breakfast section.
As I didn't have time to cook anything proper last weekend yet was still in need of food, I wanted something simple, easy and quick, something meant for one person, something I could maybe make more of to fill myself up.
I came across this brunch recipe which seemed fairly interesting, the corn part of the meal really hitting the spot and tipping over the scale. Once I read further on, I realized I had all the ingredients on hand, and that I never really tried anything like it, so I decided it went with my requirements and started!

I tried, just like with every meal to make it as similar to Jamie's as possible, and this is what I ended up with:


Firstly I took my corn can and set the corn in a sifter for the liquid to drain through.
Then I took a fairly large bowl and added the flour, egg, milk and salt using my handy-dandy cup measurer which I discovered I owned just several weeks ago. I whisked that into a dough-like consistency, and I remembered I added a little more milk as it was too hard.

I then grated my cheese, and instead of Cheddar cheese which isn't my favorite, I went with something I knew would give the most delicious form to the dough, and that is Mozzarella. Instead of 40g I may have gone a bit farther, however having half your dough in Mozzarella is heaven, at least in my opinion. With the cheese, I folded in the corn (with which I also went overboard because sweet corn also equals heaven in my book), and diced green chilli.

I set the dough aside as I chopped my one large tomato and small avocado, tossing with lime juice, salt and pepper and coriander leaves. 

I then fried my pancetta, and I am constantly amazed with how the pancetta coats itself in oil, none needs to be added by me! And I didn't glaze it with maple syrup as I don't have any because I don't like it. 


Now, here I think I misread Jamie's instructions which must be about dividing the batter into several batches, but I took a rather large frying pan and poured all of it on one tsp of oil. I spread some one the edges, in an attempt to recreate Jamie's crispy edges. 
While the batter was frying, my pancetta was done so I removed it off the heat, and flipped the batter on the opposite side to get that golden color on top and bottom. 
When it was done, I assembled the tomato/avocado salad, yoghurt, chilli sauce, pancetta and some chives on top as I didn't have any more coriander leaves.


Even though I explained this recipe in 10,000 words, it really comes down to basic cooking and ingredients, an ideal light lunch if you ask me! To achieve this recipe, do as follows:



This is an amazing weekend breakfast - it will put a smile on your face, get you going and make you feel really satisfied. A hit of chilli wakes you up better than any espresso, trust me. 

Serves 4, 477 calories

Ingredients

Pancakes
1 cup of self-raising flour
1 large egg
1 cup of semi-skimmed milk 
1 fresh green chilli
40g Cheddar cheese
1 handful frozen sweetcorn
olive oil

Topping
4 ripe tomatoes
1 ripe avocado
1 lime
1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
8 rashers of smoked pancetta
maple syrup
2 tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt
Lingham's chilli sauce 

Start cooking

Whisk the flour, egg and milk in a bowl with a pinch of salt until smooth. Finely slice the chilli, grate the cheese, then fold both into the batter with the sweetcorn. Roughly chop the tomatoes and the peeled, destoned avocado, then toss with the juice from 1/2 a lime, the top leafy half of the coriander, salt and pepper.

Put the pancetta into a medium frying pan on a medium-low heat, turning when crisp and golden. Drizzle with maple syrup, glaze for 20 seconds, then remove from the heat. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of oil into a small frying pan on a medium heat, add a ladleful of batter and spread it out to the edges. Flip when golden and remove to a plate once done.

Place 1/4 of the topping and pancetta on top of the pancake and serve with a dollop of yoghurt, a wedge of lime, and chilli sauce if you like that extra hit. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve as and when they're ready. 


Note: This recipe was taken straight out of the cookbook, my version is written above. 


Bon Appétit! 


1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I made it a while back and while it's definitely different than anything I've ever made for breakfast before, it was great!

    ReplyDelete