Mar 2, 2014

Mexican BLT, Chillies, Guacamole & Salad

Hello!
Today I come with a recipe for a sandwich that really reminds me of Subway, which I don't have access to anymore as Croatia is unexplainable. 
I would definitely deem this a healthier option, really quick and really filling. 
So easy to make and so delicious! 
The meat is lean, the vegetables are in surplus and the baguette just serves as a holder for all the ingredients, and if you want to minimize on the calories and carbs, just take the top half of the baguette off to reveal an open faced sandwich! 
I made this yesterday for lunch, a perfect Saturday brunch or late lunch or just a quick snack if in a minimized version!
I of course prolonged the process over an hour, but this could really be done in 15 minutes if really efficient.
Enjoy!

This is what I came up with:


What I firstly did was de-freeze my meat and then shaped it in the way I desired, leaving it a bit thicker than usual just to be able to cut it into beautiful juicy pieces of meat as shown below.
I then sprinkled salt, pepper, oregano and powdered cumin instead of cumin seeds, as cumin seeds tend to burn on my pan which is never fun to clean. I always like to set aside my spiced up meat because I feel it soaks up the flavors better over time. 

I then tended to all my veggies, including cutting the lettuce, radishes, spring onions and tomatoes, and set aside to dry from the washing. 
I then, in the processor, pulsed the coriander, chilli and spring onions until fairly fine, then added the tomatoes to add some liquid as the contents were getting rather dry, and then added in the avocado flesh, which I pulsed for at least 5 minutes on high constantly, as I couldn't find a perfectly ripe avocado anywhere, so mine was rather hard to turn into paste. In the middle I tasted it and decided it needed some salt and pepper, which you will have to add in scary looking amounts as a bit doesn't go a long way.
I love cold guacamole so I put that in the fridge. 
I then made the dressing using vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper. 

I then decided it was time to fry the meat, which I did for 5 minutes on both sides on 2 tbsp of oil, and in a small pan beside I fried the pancetta. 



Once those two were done and cut up, it was time to assemble the baguette!
I spread avocado along one part of the baguette and layered it with lettuce and meat. 
On the side, I spread cut up feta and radishes over corn salad/lamb's lettuce, whatever you like to call it,


and added some pickled peppers and coriander leaves on the side.

 
And voila!




Today I really don't have time to type out the recipe for you, so instead I took some snaps of it which I hope will be visible enough to act as a surrogate:







Note: This recipe was taken straight out of the cookbook, my version is written above. 

Bon Appétit! 

1 comment: