Nov 16, 2013

Pork Steaks, Hungarian Pepper Sauce and Rice

Next, it was my dad's birthday. 
He grew up on more traditional meals even though he experienced a renaissance in his nutrition since he met my mom, so I wanted to honor that kid in him.
I knew it had to be something meat related, but I couldn't decide what. I always overlooked the Pork Steaks, Hungarian Pepper Sauce and Rice, not even considering it as an option. Then I started thinking outside of the box. 



I started by simply preparing the meat, cutting it into the sizes I would later grill, and leaving that aside on a big platter. 
Then I turned to the actual recipe, and its course - I worked on the sauce. I prepared all the vegetables as explained and then put in a casserole pan, seasoned and left it to cook on only 2 tablespoons of oil. Towards the end of that, I prepared the rice, which is pretty easy to do, I mean it does all the work by itself after you add the water, stirring regularly. Then I went back to my veggies, to which I was supposed to add 700g of passata which is a gigantic bottle if you've ever seen it, so I added bit by bit, and came to the conclusion that only 600g is enough, if you don't want your veggies swimming in tomato sauce. I brought that to a boil and then set aside on the stove to keep warm. The rice was done by now so I drained that and left it in its pot as well to retain heat, and prepared the grill pan. 
I had double the size of the pork medallions, so I grilled them in two turns. I like my meat very well done, very charred and that's exactly what I did with these. It took about 10 minutes for each turn, on medium/high heat. I also sprinkled it with salt, pepper, ground coriander and leafy tops of the fennel, which the meat very nicely soaked up. By this time the sauce was rather lukewarm so I reheated that while I arranged the meal as close to Jamie's as possible. There are also obviously two servings of rice, so we can say I doubled the whole recipe, except for the sauce. And from that, there was left-over rice and two medallions of meat. 
Finally, the rocket is supposed to be dressed with lemon and salt in the bag, but since I'm not a very big lemon fan, I just placed the rocket around and drizzled with yoghurt, just like the recipe says. 



I have to say that as barely meat-loving person, the meat was incredible! Jamie incorporated all the right spices for pork, and by doing his trick of beating the spices into the meat before placing on the grill works superbly. It was so lean and gentle, no strange fatty parts or veins, but I guess that depends on the meat your butcher supplies you with. It fit perfectly with the sauce-covered rice, I dare say the meal would be lacking without it!


But my favorite part must've been the sauce. All the different vegetables and their tastes were bound together by this overwhelming tomato taste of the passata. It was sweet and salty at the same time, every bite was different. It was truly a surprise. Also the recipe calls for an apple, which I am seeing more and more in salty recipes. Only one is called for here, so the taste isn't overwhelming, but when you do come across it, you definitely remember it.


A perfect recipe for a more important lunch/dinner and the colder months, I definitely recommend it!

pg.94, under Pork
Ingredients out * Kettle boiled * Food processor (thick slicer) * Large casserole pan, medium heat * Medium lidded pan, medium heat * Griddle pan, high heat 

Serves 4, 685 calories

Ingredients:

Sauce
2 mixed-color peppers
1 red onion
1 carrot
1 bulb of fennel
1 eating apple
olive oil
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
4–5 fresh bay leaves
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
700g passata

Pork
500g pork fillet 1 tsp ground coriander

To serve
1 mug (300g) of 10-minute wholegrain or basmati rice
70g rocket
1 lemon
4 tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt

Start cooking 

Deseed the peppers, Peel and halve the onion, trim the carrot, Trim and quarter the fennel (reserving any leafy tops), then slice them all in the processor with the apple. Put 2 tablespoons of oil into the casserole pan, tip in the sliced veg, Add the paprika and bay leaves, squash in the unpeeled garlic through a garlic crusher, season with salt and pepper, and fry, stirring regularly. 

Put 1 mug of rice and 2 mugs of boiling water into the medium pan with a good pinch of salt, Cover and stir occasionally. Slice the pork into 8 medallions, flatten them slightly with your fist, then rub with salt, pepper, the ground coriander and 1 teaspoon of oil, then put on the griddle pan until cooked through, turning when nicely charred. 

Add the balsamic and passata to the peppers, Season to taste and bring to the boil. Sprinkle the rice with an extra dusting of paprika. Dress the rocket in the bag with the lemon juice and a small pinch of salt, then fold most of it through the sauce. Tip the sauce on to a platter, Place the charred pork on top and scatter with the remaining rocket. Drizzle with the yoghurt, scatter over any reserved fennel tops and serve with the fluffy rice. 


Note: The listed recipe is exactly copied fromt the cookbook, "Jamie's 15 Minute Meals", if you want to see my process of cooking it, read above, this is just a frame.


Bon Appétit!





No comments:

Post a Comment