Dec 8, 2013

Smoked Salmon, Yorkshire Pud, Beets and Asparagus (minus the Asparagus)

This weekend was a busy weekend.
Yesterday I had guests and a huge dinner, and today I cooked again!
I did opt for a much much easier meal though, and that is the Salmon Yorkshire pudding!
Ever since I got this wondrous cookbook, my mom has been begging me to make this recipe. She simply adores salmon and needed to eat it in this recipe.
Even more, one day she came home with some smoked salmon, vaguely indicating that she wanted me to make it.
As I felt sorry for the poor decaying salmon, I decided what better time than to make it today, when the recipe is so fast and basic! I only discovered I had no asparagus, and since on Sundays nothing lives in Zagreb, I had to go with it.
This can be found on page 130 of the "Fish" section:


Instead of the asparagus I went with some green salad and caramelized beets (included in the original recipe).

Surprisingly, I didn't change the order today, look at that! 

So firstly, I whizzed the eggs and flour in the processor, slowly adding the milk and whizzing until smooth. 
I then put 2 sprigs of rosemary into the pan with 1 1/2 tbsp of oil, even though Jamie says 2 tbsp, but I would even put 1 tbsp because the bottom of the pudding was fairly grease, so just spread it lightly with your little brush. 
I then put that on the fire until it started smelling gorgeously and the oil was fairly hot, and added the mixture inside. It says to fry for 30 seconds, which is far too little by me, let it fry for about 2 minutes so that there is a strong ground established. It may be because I had a 25cm ovenproof frying pan and Jamie had a 28cm one. 
After I checked that with a little knife, I popped it into a preheated oven for 20 minutes!!! 
Yes, I know, Jamie says 13, but when I stuck a toothpick in it didn't come out clean plus it didn't burn after such a long time inside so all was well. 
I guess everything depends on the oven and how preheated it is.
After this you're supposed to deal with the asparagus, which I skipped. 
I next drained and diced the beetroot and put in a casserole pan with balsamic vinegar and honey, stirred regularly and took of the heat once it was sticky. I let that cool a bit before I placed it on my salad in a bowl.


I mixed some greek yoghurt, plain yoghurt, parsley and 3 cloves of garlic as a sauce because I also didn't have any horseradish and I love this sauce recipe, goes great with anything baked like this pud. 



"Once my pudding was so good I couldn't stand it anymore", I took it out, and with a fish slice placed it on the board and voila!

Here are some amazing closeups that I have now idea how they happened: 





 Probably the fastest and easiest recipe of the whole cookbook, it is a true 15 minute recipe.

If you don't have the cookbook to find it on page 130 of the fish section, you can do it by:

Ingredients out * Oven at 200C/400F/gas 6 * 28cm non-stick ovenproof frying pan, high heat * Liquidizer * Griddle pan, high heat * Casserole pan, medium heat

Serves 4, 407 calories

Ingredients

Yorkshire pud
olive oil
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 large eggs
150ml semi-skimmed milk
65g plain flour
180g quality smoked salmon

Beets&asparagus 
1 bunch of asparagus (300g)
250g vac-packed cooked beetroot
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 heaped tsp runny honey
2 punnets of cress
2 sprigs of fresh basil
1/2 a lemon

Dressing
3 heaped tbsp fat-free natural yoghurt
2 heaped tbsp jarred grated horseradish
1 lemon

Start cooking 

Put 2 tablespoons of oil into the frying pan and pick in the rosemary leaves. Crack the eggs into the liquidizer, add the milk and flour, then blitz until smooth. Spread out the rosemary in the pan, then pour in the batter, let it fry for 30 seconds, then pop into the oven and close the door until golden (roughly 13 minutes). Trim the asparagus and put dry on the hot griddle pan, turning until nicely charred on all sides.

Drain and slice or dice the beetroot, then place in the casserole pan with the balsamic and honey, stirring regularly, and removing from the heat when sticky. Mix the yoghurt and horseradish in a bowl, then season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Snip over the cress on to a nice serving board, and spoon the beetroot on top, then pick over the basil leaves.

Shake the asparagus with a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper, and immediately pile on the board. Wait by the oven until your Yorkshire pudding is puffed up and beautiful. Once it looks so good you can't stand it any longer, get it out of the oven, slide it on to the board, then roll the smoked salmon into roses and place on top. Serve straight away with lemon wedges on the side.

Note: This recipe was taken straight out of the cookbook, my version can be read above.



Bon Appétit! 









No comments:

Post a Comment