Mar 30, 2014

Prawn Linguine and Sicilian Shaved Fennel Salad

I need to be honest and say that quite some time has passed since I made this recipe and now when I am publishing it for you, dear reader, I made it two more times as everyone in my family (wow, four, such a huge number you got there) were absolutely taken by it!
What I have realized is that it really does take 15 minutes - and this is something I have been realizing for more and more of the 15 Minute recipes, which blew my mind, as I was a strong believer only Jamie could do it in the said time. 
But I guess that if you do it a couple of times, you get more practice and do it in not 15, but 5 minutes! So there is my glorious and intelligent conclusion based on my experience. 
Maybe my initial grudge that these definitely weren't 15 minute recipes is being refuted?!
Any-who, this is what I came up with (s'cuse the vibrant colors, there was an overload of reds and I have a really smart camera):


I also couldn't decide which version of the picture was better - the cropped or uncropped?


I started this recipe off by cutting 2 slices of bread into several lines, popping them in my processor along with the garlic at this point, as it "permeates" better than if added additionally, and whizzing until the wanted consistency of tiny.
While it was whizzing, I poured the olive oil in, which serves a job right after, when you are to put the breadcrumbs in a large pan and toast them. Toss regularly, or they will stick!





Breadcrumbs can be used cold, so set that aside and move on to the pasta.
Put your desired amount to cook into boiling water and a pinch of salt according to packet instructions. While that takes its time, I chopped some chili, cinnamon (I adore cinnamon so I put twice the amount and it turned out divine) and prawns (pre-cleaned of shells) as I had no saffron, on the tiniest bit of olive oil as I didn't use the anchovies and their oil, along with the squashed garlic.
Let that fry for a while and ooze out its juices, and when you deem fine, add in the passata. I covered this and took to the salad.

I whizzed halved the fennel, trimmed the celery, added the leafy half of mint and a whole lemon, then tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper. That's your salad done right there!



By this time, your sauce should be boiling, which means you are to take it off the heat, and presuming your pasta is done by this time, use tongs to directly move the pasta from its pan straight into the sauce.
Once you mix that, and arrange as desired, grate in the Parmesan as I like it melted on top, you may do so beforehand to mix in between. Pick over some basil leaves for extra taste! (It always accentuates pasta)


If you haven't already, transfer your salad into a bowl, do the same with the breadcrumbs if you kept them warm in the pan, and serve to eat!



(Jamie's recipe to come soon, there are clouds over the window I take pictures under, yikes!)



No comments:

Post a Comment